Areas of Intervention
We provide legal information, advocacy and support in the areas below. Click on each area to see common examples of what we do. For other areas, we may be able to refer to other resources. If you are unsure if we help with a particular issue or have questions about our services, feel free to call and ask. You may also find answers to your questions on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Explain rights and obligations of landlords and tenants
- Give information and help with the following:
- Rent increases
- Lack of heating
- Vermin (such as bedbugs, cockroaches, mice, etc.)
- *For Low Cost Housing applications, please refer to our Social Housing Workshops
- Explain Welfare benefits, special benefits, and check eligibility
- Apply for benefits, including filling forms and helping with supporting documents
- Help with the following types of problems:
- Your application was refused, or benefit was cut
- You have a debt to welfare
- Explain government pensions and check eligibility
- Apply for federal pensions (Old Age Security, Allowance, Allowance for the Survivor, Guaranteed Income Supplement), including filling forms and helping with supporting documents
- Apply for Quebec pensions (Retirement, Survivor, Disability), including filling forms and helping with supporting documents
- Help with problems, including eligibility and amounts
- Explain family allowances and check eligibility
- Apply for Canada and Quebec child benefits (CCTB and QCA), including filling forms and helping with supporting documents
- Help with problems related to these benefits, including eligibility
- Explain Shelter Allowance and check eligibility
- Apply for Shelter Allowance (forms not provided)
Medicare and Medication Insurance
- Explain the programs and check eligibility
- Apply for or renew Medicare, including filling forms and helping with supporting documents
- Help with eligibility problems, including proving residence
The Storefront is a drop-in centre; you do not need an appointment. People are seen on a first-come, first-served basis, so waits are sometimes long and we cannot predict waiting times in advance. Please come at least 2 hours before closing time and bring any pertinent documents with you.
Click here for our current Storefront hours.
We close during national and certain other holidays, and occasionally for administrative purposes. Click to consult our closing days. You may call us to verify that we are open before coming.